Before anything was added to the walls, wire, insulation, etc. Each and every rivet and seam on the inside of the outside shell was coated with Manus Bond to help prevent water leaks. This stuff was not very easy to apply. It is very thick and heavy and not anything like normal paint. There were little strings of this stuff dripping down from the ceiling and just a warning – IT WILL NOT COME OUT OF YOUR HAIR! I pulled huge chunks of my hair out just to keep from looking homeless when I went to work on Monday.
All of the old wiring was removed from the trailer a long, long, long time ago. Outlets and lights were marked when they were taken out and we didn’t plan on adding anything new. I am grateful that my Dad knows how to do electrical work because I don’t understand any of it. He would try to explain it to me but I just got confused. All I want is to be able to run the air-conditioner and a microwave at the same time, I don’t care what it takes to make that happen – it just needs to happen.
The old wire was a tangled mess and there was no way we were going to try to reuse it. We did get most of it color coordinated and saved for random projects that may come up that it could be used for – trailer lights, etc. It’s always a good idea to keep stuff to work with around, so the old wire was put into “stock” as we say.
A new panel will be added and aluminum supports were added to hold the new larger panel on the interior wall. Also a new hole would need to be added to the inside wall so that the wire could feel through into the panel box. I remember before you could see all of the old wiring, this will look much neater and cleaner. The old univolt was partially repainted to stop any further rust. I really wanted to paint it a ‘pretty’ color but that was not allowed – electrical is always gray, per Dad. The gray is still an improvement over rust, so I took it.
The wire was run along at the top of the trailer (as it was done before) and there were areas where it could rub up against the aluminum supports and over time, possibly short the wire. A thin piece of rubber was added around the wires in those areas to protect the wires from rubbing on the aluminum supports.
This kind of detail is why my Airstream Argosy restoration will be the best, and take a long time. Dad is a perfectionist and he always says, “This is a labor of love, and you can’t rush a labor of love.”