The original floor was supported by two 2x4x18 that ran almost the entire length of the trailer. Not a length that we could find. For the 2×4’s we purchased four 2x4x10’s and scabbed them together.
The scabs were glued and bolted into place. We used stainless carriage bolts, washers and locking nuts to hold them together. We then sealed them for water protection.
Part of the issue with replacing the floor is that the floor slides into a C-Channel on each side. The plywood pieces are placed widthwise along the trailer with each side placed in the C-Channel. To get the plywood back into these channels, either the plywood needs to bend/bow or the frame must be pulled back to allow for the plywood to fit and then pushed back into place. Once in place, I’m sure this makes for a very sturdy floor base.
You can see the C-Channel below, this is not mine but you can see how the plywood must slide into place.
My Dad was discussing the floor with my brother and he came up with a really good idea. He asked why wouldn’t we place the plywood lengthwise down the trailer and have a seam along the 2×4 floor supports, the pieces would be easier to maneuver and fit into the C-Channel much easier. Well, why didn’t we think of that!?! We added onto this idea by adding a 2×6 floor support in the middle that ran the length just like the existing 2x4s. We could have a seam directly down the middle if needed and the floor now has extra support.
Measurements were taken to ensure that the scabs fit between the frame rails. The pieces were glued together and sealed for water protection. Brackets were added to hold in the new 2×6, they were painted with POR15, drilled and bolted into place. The scab for the 2×6 was placed in a different location for distribution of weight.
Electrical PVC pipe was also added to hold the new wiring. The electrical enters through the tongue through the frame and must run the length of the trailer. We had to heat and bend a piece to fit. The pipe was began at the frame, curve slightly and to rise about three inches to run over the frame rails along the wood floor supports and to the back. At the back it had to descend a few inches, turn and go through the frame (a new hole was cut) to where the electrical panel will be placed.
It looks so pretty. I hope that no one ever had to see the work (other than pictures) that has been done under the flooring but it makes me feel so good to know that everything is being done right with the purpose of lasting. We are not just patching problems to pass along to someone else.