In order to replace the floors, the inside walls must also be removed. The floors sit in a C-channel and the walls sit on top of the floor. The walls are attached to wall supports that run between the inner and outer walls, similar to studs in a wall.
The walls are riveted into place along the seams and in the curves. Every rivet had to be drilled out in order for the walls to come down. The walls also overlap each other so you have to go in a specific order to remove them. We decided to number and letter each panel as it was removed and the location so that we knew exactly where each piece needed to go to. The number indicated the order it was removed and the letter indicated which side of the trailer it was from. ‘A’ was the left side, ‘B’ was the right, and ‘C’ was the front. The bathroom walls are made of different material so marking them was not as necessary. We also made and order of operations to remember the order everything goes. I already don’t remember what the wall rail is…shit.
We expected the insulation between the walls to be nasty. With the current smell I just knew rodents had been living there and I already knew that water had been in the walls to damage the floor. I also have seen pictures of restorations with mice tunnels in the insulation so I was expecting the worst.
It actually was not that bad – damn. Having to do all this work just to get to the floor when it really isn’t necessary kinda sucked. This insulation is 42 years old, I’m sure we have something better now anyway. That’s what I kept telling myself. Removing the insulation was a dusty mess. There were a few places where water had damaged the insulation and another area near an outlet that looked like a wire may have sparked a few times – scary. I tried my best to keep it clean, the Shop-Vac became my friend, she was vacuumed at the end of each day of work.
We also marked each location of a light switches and outlets so that when the she was re-wired we knew where these were located. All of the old wiring was removed and will be replaced. Dad was not a fan of the way this was wired originally and plans to make sure changes. The wires come in through the front frame and runs to the back under the floor to the electrical panel. From there it feeds the trailer between the walls. The wires are run through holes in the wall supports (studs) and each hole has a rubberized grommets to keep the wires from rubbing against the aluminum and being damaged.
We have no idea what kind of sealant was used around the sink vents, furnace vent or wheel wells but this stuff is awesome! Pain in the ass to remove anything that has it attached, but after 40+ years, it is still holding strong – very, very, very, extremely strong. Really hope we can figure out what it is, that it is still made, and with the exact same formula. I know that is probably asking too much, but I can hope.